Saturday, June 15, 2013

Domesticity.



First off, I would like to share some pretty super-duper exciting news: I was released from Physical Therapy on Friday morning! Woohoo! I will still continue to work-out my leg at home with exercises and such, but I no longer have to endure the "house of pain"!

With some contemplating and debating and some Pinterest reads, I decided to start making homemade laundry detergent, and in the near future, homemade dishwasher detergent as well. Yes, you might think I'm being a little radical or hippie-like, but it really does make sense for us to do. We are young and married and my husband is still in college so we have a limited income. It would only make sense to come up with the best ways to save money and make money. For us, this is one of the ways we do SAVE money.
I was using a regular liquid laundry detergent that cost about $12.39 at Target and could do about "50 loads", and that was for not a named brand. Laundry detergent can be really expensive, unfortunately.




This is what I used to make the laundry detergent:

8 cups of Borax ($3.69 for a 4lb. box at Target)
5 cups Baking Soda ($1.79 for a 2lb. box at Target)
1 cup of dried lavender. Fortunately, I had some dried lavender left over from our wedding so I used that. But you can also use (and what I plan to use eventually) lavender scented Epsom salts ($4.69 at Target).
Mix the Borax, Baking Soda and lavender up really well.
For about a medium load of laundry, I use 1 cup of the mixture. It was amazing at how much cleaner our clothes were when I used this compared the regular liquid laundry detergent! They also smelt a whole lot better! This was a success for sure.
After I made the detergent I had almost HALF the box of Borax left, and a little less than half the box of Baking Soda left, both of which can be used for other household needs.

Hope this was maybe helpful to anyone who has considered this before and was just skeptical of trying it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment