Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The All About Me Syndrome


I guess its something everyone struggles with. We all sin and what is sin? Selfishness. Its about what I want, when I want it. How can I make myself happy? I mean, as long as I am happy then everything is wonderful right? I am here to please me and me only. Isn't that what life is all about? That's what society will tell you, anyway.
I think my generation suffers greatly from this "me syndrome". And sadly, I believe it's getting worse. I suffer with this disease daily, its a constant battle. Whether it's openly or in disguise, it's a struggle. Sometimes we camouflage it to  make it look like we are looking out for other people, when truly we have an underlying agenda that's better for us. 

Those who know me well, know that I have an "old soul". I'd much rather spend my time with those 3 times my age, than those my own age. This can sometimes be a stumbling stone for me and I have always struggled with this. I see less of the "me syndrome" in those much older with wrinkles of wisdom and a life of servitude and its so refreshing to spend time with those who get the big picture. I encourage you to find that someone much older who has much guidance and wisdom to offer. Listen and spend time with them. Let them teach you, let them feed you. Don't put a band-aid over the me syndrome like a temporary fix, treat it like you want to cure it! That means going deeper. That means more time on your part. That means, finding ways to serve.

Here is a way I have realized as of late, that sometimes we can be subtle in our self-fulfilling minds. I have recently, on different occasions, had lengthy conversations with a few different people around my age. After walking away at the end of the conversation, I was somewhat saddened. I realized that the entire conversation centered around them - I stand guilty of this myself - there was no inquiry about anyone, no concern for another, no interest in ANYONE else. But why do we make it all about ourselves? Everything is about me. I want, I need, give me, I did this, I think this, etc. And we are never satisfied.

I write this post not because I have any answers or know the cure or am more equipped - definitely not, this post is just as much for me as any other. These are just some concerns and thoughts that I've been pondering lately. But I know Who can fix this "me syndrome" I have. If we walk in His footsteps He might teach us a thing or two. "me syndrome" will always nip at our heals, but will we let it ride on our shoulders? Lets not.
Lets pray that we do better in this area. Pray that I do better. I will pray for you too. Lets help each other.

Ephesians 6:12, Philippians 2:3-5, Mark 10:43-45, Matthew 20:26, Galatians 5:13

Have A Blessed Week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment